Wednesday 11 April 2012

Introduction to Studies in Modern Irish

Retypesetting is now completed.  Help is now needed in proof-reading my work.
The pdf of the retypeset work is at:
http://www.box.com/s/13f7466b52af13eb9333
and a good scan to compare it with is at:
http://www.box.com/s/142fb3fd49c362bddebd
There is more to the proofing than just checking the accuracy of the copy: there are errors/inconsistancies in the original, and some characters have not been impressed, and educated guesses have been made at whether, or what is missing.  These deliberate variances have been typed in red.

3 comments:

  1. Cad leis a dheanann tu OCR?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Optical Character Recognition.
    Works extremely well with basic 'Roman' characters, provided that no accents are used, however, if the characters are of an unrecognised style, and accents are common, it gets increasingly unreliable. At this point, human intervention is needed, with intelligent guess-work. It helps if the guesser understands the text. To me, that can be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your 'Introduction To Modern Irish', I am wondering which dialect is being taught?...It does not seem to state it whithin...However, some of the words I read seem to be Munster, Muskerry, maybe?...Please email me a response as I rarely come here unless I see something new to add to my E-Library...

      Thank You,

      Richard at the_lyons_heart@yahoo.com

      Delete